Monday, September 9, 2013

How or will you be valued in the future?

A friend of mine, Steven Wolfe, reposted a great link last week about the coming of the Machine Adge that was published in the NY Times. Steven urged everyone to read it and, well, I did. When people I know and value tell me to read something it's because it struck a cord with them and I in turn think it will with me.

The gist of the article is really about people who bring value to businesses in an increasingly technology-centric world. The article states that the winners will be those those who are conscientious and want to learn. Those who use and work with technology. Those who are motivators, coaches and mentors. And those that have a marketing touch.

I liked the part about marketing and the "touch". While it is true that with machines and technology we can do amazing things but capturing the attention of customers with just the right human touch will command an increasing premium especially when we live in such a frenetic and fragmented media world.

Which brings me back to value. All of the above are necessary to move ahead but I think that understanding and capitalizing on your value (whatever that may be) and knowing how to integrate and sell it is also part of a winning strategy.

What employer or client ever said "well no, we really don't want you to bring value when we hire you"? Right: Nobody ever did.

Getting older does have its advantages in finding your value. Learning by trial and error (or by setting yourself on fire a few times) does give you the sense to wear asbestos underwear when required.

Personally I've learned that leading is really hard and exhausting but did find that if I was able to look at all the pieces of a business and then understand how they were integrated, made leading much more fun and I think I was more valuable. Once I understood that this way of "seeing things" made my overall job easier, I was drawn to companies, assignments or and business challenges that needed and could leverage my value. All this from a girl that could't stand puzzles as a kid!

The big question is then how will we all uncover, honestly analyze, grow, change and then really sell through our value in upcoming years? What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment